The Policy Lab supports communities to develop and implement public policy solutions that improve child and family well-being, strengthen community resilience, foster equity, promote cross-sector integration, and dismantle systemic drivers of adversity.
The Redstone Global Center for Prevention and Wellness and the Center for Community Resilience recognize that meaningful and lasting change to improve health outcomes and support resilience must take place across systems through policy change. By engaging in strategies to make Washington, D.C. the healthiest capital in the world, reducing health disparities and inequities, the Centers push innovation that can be replicated in other communities. The Centers’ home in the only school of public health in the nation’s capital provides a unique opportunity to influence local, national and global policy.
2021 Federal Legislative Agenda
The Center for Community Resilience has released its 2021 Legislative Priorities for federal policy. This agenda includes recommendations for ensuring a pathway to equitable recovery from COVID-19 and dismantling the pervasive issues of inequity that produce the Pair of ACEs.
Our Policy and Advocacy Principles
Grounded in the science of ACEs and developed and implemented through an actively anti-racist lens, our policy and advocacy principles:
- Focus on primary prevention of the Pair of ACEs in public health departments and across systems
- Support trauma-informed transformation within system
- Address and eliminate systemic and historic drivers of inequity
- Incorporate whole-family approaches in service delivery
- Facilitate and invest in cross-system collaboration and integration
Policy and Advocacy to Building Community Resilience
The Policy Lab uses the Pair of ACEs framework to support communities in developing and implementing public policy solutions to improve child and family well-being, strengthen community resilience, foster equity, promote cross-sector integration and dismantle systemic drivers of adversity. Support and technical assistance offered by the Policy Lab includes:
- Technical expertise in developing substantive public policy agendas at the local, state or federal level;
- Research and analysis to identify advocacy opportunities within your locality or state;
- Membership in a nationwide learning network where communities engage on policy issues, share lessons learned and have access to a range of subject-matter experts;
- In-person workshops and easy-to-use tools and guides designed to sharpen advocacy skills and activate networks to advance policy solutions; and
- Strategic planning, partnership identification and coalition building assistance to support the building of impactful policy networks.